Product categories

Face grain dowel plugs, four wood types

Tapered face-grain plugs for repairing small holes and gouges in wood. Available in maple, red oak, walnut and cherry in various sizes.



Use a face-grain dowel plug instead of conventional putty as your hardwood floor hole filler.  These tapered face-grain dowel plugs, are used for repairing small holes and gouges in wood without having to pull out the whole board. Available in maple, red oak, walnut, and white oak in various sizes.

We know that wood putty is what you first think of when you have a hole in your wood. And for small holes from trim nails, that is a good thought. But anything bigger than 1/4″ in diameter looks cheap and half-baked when filled with putty. Check out the photo in the product gallery with all the little circles filled with woodfiller. You can see the sunken pucker at the center of each one where the filler just didn’t stay flush. If you have a round hole, or a void that can be drilled out to be round, it is better to fill it with actual WOOD. It doesn’t sink in the middle or shrink. And if you line up the grain lines nicely, it becomes almost invisible.

We know you can just buy a dowel, cut a slice and bung it in your floor, but that will look different than these dowel plugs, which are cut from the same direction as the face of a hardwood board. Dowel slices will be end-grain, which is more porous and coarser, and usually turn darker than your surrounding wood after applying stain or finish.

Now, if you want the little circles to stand out from your floor, by all means cut some dowel plugs. But if you are trying to make the fix invisible as well as quick, a face-grain plug is the way to go.

We know that when you typed “hardwood floor hole filler” you thought you would be looking at some kind of spreadable, hardening wood filler. And while we sell that (check out our favorite brand, Timbermate) that should be a last resort. We encourage your to try to fill any flaw you have with wood first.

For wide gaps, use a Dutchman – a tapered shim of wood that is pounded in to the gap, nipped off and sanded flush

Our guide to patching hardwood floors is also helpful.

Enter product shipping information